For a while there, I was a little disappointed in how this quilt was turning out... but now that I have it quilted and bound, I'm really happy with the final product! I had so much fun making this quilt and I love how much creative freedom a mini quilt gives you. You don't have to worry about getting too detailed, because it's not like you have to repeat the design over and over like you would for a regular quilt. I think the small size lends itself perfectly for a "scene" quilt that tells a story, which is what I tried to do.
When the Riley Blake Rainy Days fabric made it's debut, my first thought was that it would make the perfect backdrop for a wall quilt of some sort (but I hadn't come up with any kind of plan at that point). But then the perfect opportunity to explore that idea fell into my lap when I got into the 9th round of the Doll Quilt Swap. I'd seen gorgeous pictures from this group on Flickr for about a year, but always forgot to check back to see when the next round would be starting up. This time I was in the right place at the right time, and wandered back into their group right as sign ups were about to happen. I already had a bunch of ideas floating around even before I knew if I'd been chosen to participate or not! Once I finally got my swap partner info, I decided to do a scene of a little girl walking home from school on a rainy spring day. She tried to stay dry at first, but after a mischievous gust of wind blew her umbrella and hat away, she quit caring about staying dry and decided to "embrace the horror" by stomping (with gusto!) in a giant puddle. I was always the token puddle stomper in the family that struck fear in the hearts of nearby adults, so naturally I had to put some part of myself in the little girl by giving her red hair :)
I finished the quilt top last week, but as I mentioned above, I didn't actually quilt the layers together and add the binding until Saturday morning. Why? Because I'm indecisive and couldn't figure out how I wanted to quilt the top half. The bottom part was easy because I knew for a long time that I was going to closely quilt the "grass" to give it texture. But the top was trickier:
- I didn't want to do vertical lines all over the top because I thought it would be too busy (plus avoiding all the appliques would be a pain in the cartouche).
- I didn't want to leave the top completely unquilted, because I wanted something to physically hold the top together (besides the binding) and also give it a finished look.
- I thought about quilting raindrop shapes sporadically across the "sky", but again I thought that might be too much visually.
So that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. I hope I hit the mark with my partner and that she's proud to hang it on her wall :) My goal is to mail it out by next Monday (so it arrives before the long holiday weekend), so I hope to make some extra goodies for her this week and post them on here for your viewing pleasure!
So without further ado...
"Embrace the Horror"
for the Doll Quilt Swap 9
for the Doll Quilt Swap 9