October 28, 2010
MQG Retreat: Last Project - Apple A Day Tote
I was going to post this tomorrow, but I'm too excited to wait!
Isn't it great to finally make something that's been floating around in your brain forever? I have this irrational fear that I'm going to think of something awesome and then forget about it before I have a chance to make it....which is why I keep a notebook with me at all times - so I can frantically sketch my ideas before I get distracted. It would be so much more convenient if I could just think things into existence...BAH!
This idea popped in my head as soon as I saw the Farmdale line, and I wanted to make this tote much sooner so I could start taking it to the market back in September, but you know how that goes. I don't care so much for the rooster prints in that line (they give me nightmarish flashbacks to the abundant number of country apple & rooster themed kitchens I saw growing up in Kentucky), but I love the apples. Apples are so tasty. And cute. And fragrant. You know, people never really think of apples as a fragrant fruit, but they really are. I was in the produce section of Whole Foods the other day, and when I walked down the aisle where piles upon piles of shiny, delicious apples were stacked, the whole area smelled so sweet and wonderful. Mmmmm. My favorites are Cortland and Honeycrisp...what about you?
And in case anyone's wondering, here are the dimensions I cut for each piece:
Exterior: 15" x 20" (1/4" seams)
Lining: 15" x 20" (I used 1/2" instead of 1/4" inch seams so the lining wouldn't be all up in the exterior panels' grill)
Straps: 4" x 36" (I'm pretty tall so I need long straps...plus there's nothing worse than a bag riding up into your armpit)
Leave a comment if you'd like me to scan and upload the apple & leaf templates I drew. They're not pretty because I free-handed them on a piece of graph paper, but it'll save you a little work!
I also used interfacing on all the pieces...lining, exterior, handles and even the leaf & apple pocket. After I'd cut out the pocket pieces, I drew some quick lines with chalk to mirror the sketchy lines of the apples on the Farmdale print. Then I stitched over them with lime green, green, and bright red thread. Once that was done I sewed the pieces together, turned it right side out, and secured it on the front panel. It's big enough to easily hold any cell phone or a small set of keys. Voila!